Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rope Swing



So about 2 1/2 weeks ago (I know... I know, I have been slacking) a group of us got together to check out this rope swing that the guys found out about and wanted to bring us girls to.  Well, at first I didn't think much of it.  I mean it is a swing above water...  Nothing too scary.  But as soon as we walked upon it, I immediately told myself, "I am not going to do this."  It just did not look appealing to me at all.  It wasn't so much the height of the swing, but more of the thought of dropping into freezing water (not fun) and not wanting to embarrass myself by not knowing how to properly swing out (I was scared I was going to drag my butt on the dirt the whole way down).  And the guys totally didn't help.  They instantly went into extreme mode and started doing flips off this thing and then swinging out from high points off the cliff.  Why don't they ever show fear?  Then all of a sudden, sweet, quiet, Vanessa came out of nowhere and did it!  I couldn't believe it!  As soon as I saw it, I knew I was in trouble.  There was no way that Chris would let me walk away without doing it.  So after a while of coaxing from Chris and another demonstration on the technique from Vanessa, I closed my eyes and let the swing take me out.  The swinging part was great and easier than I thought, but the water part was exactly what I expected.  It was freezing!!  I came up screaming... it was that cold!!
Soon the swing wasn't enough to satisfy the guys.  Especially Chris.  I think he just likes to see me nervous and on the verge of a heart attack.  Next thing I know he is climbing this tree on top of a cliff and preparing himself to jump.  The first time, I couldn't even watch.  So I simply looked away and waited for the screaming to start, signaling me that something went terribly wrong.  The splash came unaccompanied by screaming, so I looked and what I see is him bobbing in the water with a huge smile on his face.  Whew!!!  I could start breathing again!  So the next time he did it, I willed myself to watch.  
The picture doesn't really do the height justice.  But believe me, it was high.
Chris peeking at me through the branches.

3 comments:

Burrups said...

Looks like a ton of fun except for the freezing cold water. I definitely wouldn't want to land in that. It was sure fun to be with you guys this past weekend. Can't wait till you come home.

spencerandmolly said...

Ah that looks so fun! but scary. I'm a wuss at that kind of stuff. Yeah I would totally love to do some pics for you when we are all back in town!

vanessa said...

Thanks for the shout out!!! You forgot to mention that I biffed it on my third try. It was fun that day, but I was too sore to brush my teeth the following day. Let's go to the beach soon!