Sunday, December 18, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree


The Saturday after Thanksgiving was our official kickoff in our attempts at squeezing all of our Christmas traditions in before our journey home.  It didn't leave much time considering I was overloaded with church obligations and Chris with work obligations, but none the less we dove in head first and have had a blast celebrating Christmas here.

My excitement for putting up a tree was high, considering all of my Christmas decorations are still in a storage unit in Idaho, but I knew what it felt like to go without a tree and refused to let that happen again no matter what.  So off we went and loaded our arms with balls, gift tags (that I would convert into ornaments), lights, and ribbon.  The next stop was Lowes, where we found the cutest little 5 footer.  We took it all home, set up the tree, strung up the lights, and as I looked around at our sad little collection of ornaments I knew it was missing something.  It was missing that something that takes a tree from just any ordinary tree to "your" tree.  And so I pondered and thought and pondered some more and finally it came to me.....  I asked Chris to pop me some popcorn, I grabbed the needle and thread, put on a Christmas movie, hunkered down on the couch and off we set to make our popcorn garland.


The pictures are awful.  The only reason I am putting them on here is to show proof that Chris and I strung each one, it was a little tedious, but Chris once again proved that he is amazing at the most unexpected tasks.  If he was in a race to string popcorn he would win hands down.  He is so speedy. Me..... not so much, I am way too much of a perfectionist.

But boy was I right about the garland.  It was exactly what the tree needed.  Chris even commented that he really liked the tree this year and so do I.  So even without all our sentimental ornaments the tree still shined.


I'm totally smitten with the popcorn garland.  

Burrup Family Christmas Tree 2011

1 comment:

Momma..:) said...

Crafty as always.....:O)