Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Festivities


Our Thanksgiving was fabulous as expected.  For me it is always kicked off by watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, it's one of my favorite traditions, and for Chris it is playing in the Turkey Bowl.  Chris and I played host and hostess to this years dinner, but we ensured that everyone participated in making it extremely special.  We had a total of 10 guests which included:  Vince, Ashley, Mya, Jake, Casey, Kari, Nixon, Jordan, Erin, and Hayden.  Early in the week I had created a menu and had delegated certain tasks and food prep to individuals.  Everyone pulled their weight and by the time Thanksgiving day rolled around we found ourselves seated in front of the most delicious Thanksgiving feast.  Every inch of our table was filled with rolls, jams, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, cheesy green beans, stuffing, deviled eggs, relish and veggie trays,  bottles of sparkling cider, and center stage was the prime rib.  We all must have been ravenous because not a single person brought out their camera for a picture.  How sad because the table was set beautifully.

After our tummies were stuffed to near full capacity the desserts were brought forth, and boy were they aplenty.  Ashley out did herself again with 4 pumpkin pies and I focused on the apple, pecan, and pudding pies and then I also threw in some pumpkin bars.  We sort of got a little carried away, but when you have a husband like mine, who is constantly in your ear about ensuring there will be enough dessert for him, it's really easy to go a little overboard.  Case in point:  He has already asked me when I plan on making our traditional Christmas cookies.  It can be a little exhausting.  He's just extremely lucky that I really enjoy baking.

So besides the massive amounts of scrumptious foods, we enjoyed a full day of relaxing, playing and watching football, learning new card games and playing old ones, laughing, talking, and simply enjoying each others company.  Chris and I have been so lucky here.  We have managed to center ourselves around some amazing people and it is just great that we all get to experience living here in the south together.  

Chris and I enjoy participating in the absolute chaos of Black Friday.  We find it completely entertaining.  We love laughing at the insane people who take shopping way too serious and we find quite the rush in venturing out and fighting our way through the crowds and nabbing the last of a certain item.   I guess our sense of humor is a little weird.  This was our 4th year to do this and with all the stores opening at midnight we were a little frustrated.  We were in no way going to sacrifice our holiday to go wait in line at Target, so when the last of our guests left around 11:00 Chris asked, "Are you ready?" and I simply answered "Yep."  I hurriedly threw off my flats and slipped on my running shoes and off we went.  We knew our odds were very slim that we would get anything we wanted.  The store opened at midnight and we got in line around 11:30.  The line was seemingly endless, but at long last we made it in the store and somehow managed to get everything we wanted and then some (we were trying to stock up on prizes for our company Christmas party).  Everything went so smooth, that we were in bed and fast asleep before 3am.  Couldn't have asked for anything more.  


And what would Thanksgiving be if you didn't mention what you are Thankful for?

I am Thankful for..........

a selfless husband, who I know loves me more than anything
all our experiences (even the trials), they have strengthened us beyond comprehension
my healthy body, it's not perfect by far but it's mine (if it was up to me I would have 2 babies already)
all our travels, we have seen so many parts of this country
a good book, nothing soothes me more than cuddling up to a great story
food,  I love food, let's just leave it at that
family, they keep me grounded
the gospel, it helps keep me humble 
our company, it provides not only for us but many families
my animals, they listen better than anybody
you, for coming back and ready my silly stories and thoughts

I am thankful for Thanksgiving.


1 comment:

Momma:) said...

I am Thankful for you and Chris being in my life and making such a wonderful life with eachother....Chris has gone above and beyond in making my baby girl happy....:) Enjoy each and every moment and from time to time I hope I can be a part of a couple..:) Lots of Love..Mom