Friday, November 18, 2011

Smoky Mountain Getaway

After our very short stay in Chattanooga we continued to our destination of Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.  To be honest we did not do much research when planning this little trip.  All we knew was that we were going to the Smoky's and intended to do nothing but hiking.  So you can imagine my surprise when we pulled into Pigeon Forge and all I could see around me was something that was kind of comparable to that of the Las Vegas Strip, except way more centered around kid entertainment than adult.  It was a mess and I was honestly sickened at what they did to these beautiful mountains.  It was so commercialized it really disappointed both of us.  We knew that the mountains were where we wanted to be, so we set out to find the best trails.  This took us into Gatlinburg, TN (about 10 miles outside of Pigeon Forge) which is basically the entrance into the  Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

We were a few weeks too early, so the foliage hadn't really begun to change into their fall hues, but that didn't stop the drive from being breathtaking.  It was exactly what one thinks of when you think of the Smoky Mountains.  We located a visitors center and hunted down a hiking map.  But then we sort of faced a predicament.  We were only there for 2 full days, so we had to choose our trails wisely in order to maximize our experience and time. 


But with so many options we were a little overwhelmed and didn't know where to begin, so we sought the advice of a true professional....... a Park Ranger, and kindly asked, "Out of all the trails on this map which one would you most highly recommend?", to which he quickly responded, "Ramsey Cascades."


So we took his advice and planned to hike it in the morning.  We still had a couple hours before nightfall so we headed out to find the beginning of the trail, and to do a little off map sightseeing of our own. 





This is like the "Pride Rock" of the Smoky's.

The water was so clear and beautiful.  I just had to put my feet in.  The water was cold, but I adjusted to it fast enough.

The next day Chris and I woke up early, packed the backpack full of the essential (map, water, flashlights, food, camera, and a gun), and set off to the trail head.  The trail itself was 8 miles round trip.  It's difficulty level was labeled as strenuous, but we knew it wasn't anything we couldn't handle. 


This is why we felt compelled to bring a gun with us.  I was told that the chances of you seeing a bear in the Smoky's is much higher than not seeing one.  They are only aggressive when provoked, but we just wanted to be prepared.

When I saw that this was the trail my heart dropped.  I was thinking that there was no challenge here.  I was so naive.


Chris searching for his little friend the newt.

Oh.  There he is!

You've got to love self timers.  Prop it on a rock, set the timer, run, pose, and smile.

The picture above was basically one mile in.  That mile, I would soon find out, was basically a very kind warm-up for the next three miles.  It was literally, all up hill from there.  





It was very "Strenuous" indeed.  I get exhausted just looking at these pictures.  

Finally, we made it to the Falls.  When you have seen the grandeur that Mesa Falls presents you with it is easy to take little falls like these for granted.  It wasn't quite what we expected, but it was really beautiful and peaceful.  When I was able to catch my breathe and really look around, I was able to appreciate the scenery fully for what it was.  It was very lush and full of life.  There was nothing there that would compromise the view, no buildings, paved walk ways, or information posts.  We were truly secluded deep in the heart of the Smoky's.  It was a beautiful realization.


After that hike I was ravenous.  A sandwich has never tasted so good.

Lunch with a view.


Then came time for the descent.  I felt like it was way more tiring to go downhill than up.  It was a great 8 mile hike.  One I'm proud I was able to accomplish.  But by the time I reached the bottom my legs had had it.  I was experiencing the worst spasms.  And to top it off, I tripped over a root and fell.  It was sad but it also gave Chris a good laugh.  Needless to say that once we got back to the room we were beat and pretty much didn't move the rest of the evening. 

1 comment:

Momma ...:) said...

All of your pictures are amazing.....I hope to see those mountains someday...:) Love Mom