Sunday, April 5, 2009

Our Mini Vacation To Vegas


Chris' job presented him with a 3 day getaway to Las Vegas this weekend, and of course I had to tag along.  Although it was short and mostly job related, we still had a spectacular time.  We got to Vegas early Thursday afternoon and after we checked into our hotel room we headed straight to the "2009 International Security Conference & Exposition".  Chris and I walked into this thing thinking that it was mostly going to deal with his line of work, home monitoring.  We were so naive.  Basically, this gigantic building was filled with the newest technologies for all of your security needs.  Hundreds of companies were there displaying and demonstrating all sorts of equipment ranging from surveillance cameras, to metal detectors, to doors that only allowed access after if scanned your finger or eye, all the way to your everyday taser and rotating doors.  It was all very interesting.  There was so much to see that we spent Thursday and some of Friday there.  After we left I couldn't help but feel a little sad that such extreme security is needed.  But it was also a relief to see the amazing efforts that these people put into their work to help protect the safety and well being of everyone.  Technology is an amazing thing.  
Friday was an unbelievably cold day in Vegas.  So after we left the Expo we went to the Strip and shopped around a little.  We decided to call that an early day and besides just going to dinner we didn't do too much.
This was a one of my favorite displays in a hotel.  What you can't tell from the picture is that it looks like it is raining from the ceiling.  It was beautiful.  
Saturday on the other hand,  we crammed with as much as we could since we were leaving early the next morning.  First stop, the Stratosphere so that I could ride the rides (something that I have never done before).  Now first off I have to tell you that I am not easily scared, I mean I went sky diving without so much as a hesitation or butterfly in my stomach.  So you would think that I would be able to handle the ride called Big Shot, yeah, no problem... right?  That was so not the case.  I was not only scared I was FREAKED!  I kept telling Chris on the way up "Honey, I'm scared".  And he would look at me with confusion written all over his face and all he would say is "Really?"  So I didn't find much comfort there obviously.  So with sweaty hands and a stomach filled with butterflies I climbed into the seat to face my fears.  In the end I realized that I had nothing to fear.  The ride was absolutely amazing and completely exhilarating.  I would totally do it again.  We also went on the other two rides and they were awesome also, but neither gave you the rush like Big Shot.  
Chris and I at the top of the Stratosphere before the "RIDE".  I hide fear well if I do say so myself.
Big Shot.  The ride I conquered.
The rides Insanity

and X-Scream.
Chris and I went to Vegas under the impression that we were not going to spend much money.  Well, he remembered that I have been talking about this certain show that I wanted to see for so long and he talked me into splurging and buying tickets for us to go later that evening. Well, I was naturally elated, because I finally got to see "The Beatles LOVE Cirque Du Soleil" show.
It was by far my most favorite part of the trip.  The entire show was so visually overwhelming and artsy that it took my breathe away countless times and the fact that it was filled with some of my favorite Beatles songs only made it that much better.  It was an absolutely incredible show that swept you up into a world of fantasy and imagination and it never disappointed as it went from song to song.  Chris even enjoyed it and that is saying a lot because this usually isn't his sort of thing.  
When you first walked into the theatre this is what you walked into.  It honestly felt like you were walking through clouds.  I loved it.
So needless to say we had a great time and it was nice just getting away. 

4 comments:

Jen said...

How fun! I want a mini Vegas vacation... or any vacation for that matter. I love looking at your blog, its so upbeat and fun.
-Cousin Jen

Burrups said...

Sounds like a great time!! I can't believe you are so brave. I am such a chicken.

Miss Jana said...

The Big Shot terrified me too! I am usually not a chicken about rides, but that one had me in tears. Looks like you guys had a great getaway.

Vince and Ashley said...

You guys are so lucky to be able to go and experience the world! Well, I guess just the U.S. But still, you guys get to see a lot! I hope you're feeling better.